Receiving Your Aid

The essential steps to receiving and maintaining financial aid:

  • Stay in touch: Keep your name, address, and telephone number current with the Financial Aid Office throughout the year.
  • Verify FAFSA Information: The Federal processor determines who is selected for verification of FAFSA information. If the Student Aid Report (SAR) messages indicate you will need to provide additional documentation, you will need to submit the Income Verification Worksheet, tax transcript, and W2s. Transcripts can be requested at 1-800-829-1040 or on the IRS website.
  • Accept the financial aid package: Accept award via Financial Aid System Online by the designated deadline. You may choose to accept all or part of the aid offered to you.
  • Complete the Direct Loan Master Promissory Note and Entrance Counseling online: First-time borrowers at the Mailman School must participate in a loan entrance session.
  • Report private awards: Students must notify the Financial Aid Office if you will be receiving scholarships, grants, or tuition remission from a source outside of the Mailman School of Public Health that is payable to Columbia University. Outside award checks and 529 payments should be mailed to Columbia University. 
    Columbia University
    Student Account Payments
    P.O. Box 1385
    New York, NY 10008-1385
  • Maintain full-time status: Any reduction in credits must be reported to the Financial Aid Office immediately and may affect your eligibility for financial aid. Assistance is not available if you are enrolled in less than 6 credits per semester.
  • Maintain satisfactory academic progress: Students are required to make satisfactory academic progress toward their degree in order to maintain eligibility for federal loan and work-study programs. Satisfactory academic progress is measured by qualitative and quantitative standards.
  • Financial Aid Limits:  Students cannot receive financial aid above their cost of attendance.  Examples that can affect your aid include tuition exemption, external scholarships (which must be reported to our office) or departmental funding.