SHARP Training Scholarship Awards for Trainees and Career Development
The SHARP Training program is committed to developing short, intensive trainings for trainees and investigators at all career stages to incorporate new knowledge, methods, and tools into our fast, ever-changing innovative health and research fields. Our professional development scholarships provide opportunities for individuals who have potential to shape future health and research fields using powerful and innovative techniques. These awards increase the accessibility and participation of early-stage researchers and professionals in learning in-demand field methods.
The summer training program has a limited number of professional development scholarship awards available for eligible, early-career candidates (at any domestic or international institution) to cover some of the participant registration fees. Not all trainings have awards available, and award amounts vary depending on the training.
Awards are made on the basis of scientific merit, financial need, and potential impact of the applicant’s attendance in increasing the diversity of training participation, with particular focus on underrepresented groups and participants who would be unable or less likely to attend the training otherwise.
Each award covers 50% of the registration course fee. Awards do not cover travel or accommodation costs. The award is provided in the form of a registration code used during online registration to waive 50% of the training fee.
We welcome applications from early career investigators: post-doctoral fellows/researchers and early-career faculty (within 5 years of first faculty appointment), or equivalent early-career role and time frame in another organization. Candidates from any domestic/international institution or organization are welcome to apply, and we particularly encourage women, underrepresented minorities, and international trainees from outside the U.S. to apply.
Students (undergrad and graduate) and those who have received a SHARP scholarship under this program in the last three years are ineligible (e.g. cannot apply for 2022 scholarship if received an award sometime from 2019-2021 for any SHARP Training). Columbia employees are eligible to apply, but a scholarship award cannot be combined with a Columbia employee discount. In general, scholarship awards cannot be combined with any type of discount except early-bird pricing.
Applications are limited to two per individual, per annual training cycle.
Available 2022 Scholarships
The application and submission period for 2022 scholarships is currently closed. The following trainings offer scholarships for early career researchers and investigators, with the number of scholarships available depending on training funding and capacity. Each scholarship covers 50% of the registration fee, at time of registration. Awardee is responsible for remaining 50% of fee at time of registration, and all travel/accommodation costs if applicable. Click on the training title to learn more about a training. To apply for a scholarship, review the process further down the page.
March 15, 2022
Causal Mediation Analysis Training - 2 Scholarships available.
|Climate Change and Health Boot Camp - 2 Scholarships available.|
|Electronic Medical Records Boot Camp - 2 Scholarships available.|
Environmental Justice Boot Camp - 12 Scholarships available.
Epigenetics Boot Camp - 3 Scholarships available.
|Exposome Boot Camp - 3 Scholarships available.|
|GIS Workshop - 2 Scholarships available.|
|Google Earth Engine Boot Camp - 2 Scholarships available.|
|Machine Learning Boot Camp - 2 Scholarships available.|
|Mendelian Randomization Boot Camp - 2 Scholarships available.|
|Microbiome Boot Camp - 2 Scholarships available.|
|Mixtures Workshop - 3 Scholarships available.|
|Multi-omics Boot Camp - 2 Scholarships available.|
|NIH Grant Writing Boot Camp - 2 Scholarships available.|
|PI Crash Course - 3 Scholarships available.|
|Python Boot Camp - 2 Scholarships available.|
|Quantitative Genomics Training - 2 Scholarships available.|
|Single Cell Analysis Boot Camp - 3 Scholarships available.|
SQL Boot Camp - 2 Scholarships available.
Application Process and Materials
In the application process, the applicant will be required to provide/upload the following before the submission deadline:
- Responses to questions detailing scientific and financial reasons for this award in an online form
- A recommendation letter from the applicant’s mentor or Department Chair emailed to the committee
The program subcommittee reviews applications, selects awardees, and notifies all applicants and awardees by early April for the 3/15 deadline.
How to Submit an Application
Please read the following instructions carefully before submitting your application. Only complete applications submitted and PDF recommendation letters received by the deadline will receive full consideration. Late submissions, or documents in other formats will not be accepted. All questions should be directed to ColumbiaSHARP.Scholarships@gmail.com.
- Confirm your eligibility before applying.
- Fill out all required fields of the application link below.
- Your current status, including institution and number of years in the current program, etc
- Your field of interest and future career plans
- Description of how the award will help you with your career plans
- Financial need
- Identification in underrepresented groups
- Contact information for your mentor/Chair to submit a recommendation letter
- Any information that you feel is relevant to the Committee's decision
- Immediately upon submitting your application, your mentor or Department Chair will receive an automatic email notification (using the details you input on your application) with a link for them to upload a recommendation letter before the submission deadline (refer to the deadline table above) as a single PDF file attachment to your previously submitted application. It is the Applicant's responsibility to confirm the mentor/Chair submitted their letter, as the Program Subcomittee will not reach out to your mentor/Chair for this letter due to submission volume. A confirmation email is sent to the both the applicant and mentor/Chair upon receipt of the letter, and applicants can also inquire with the Program Subcommittee to verify if a letter has been received by emailing ColumbiaSHARP.Scholarships@gmail.com. The letter should support the application by including the following:
- Confirms that the applicant is in good standing at the time the application is submitted
- Describes how the applicant will benefit from attending this training
- Explains why the applicant is in need of the award and whether there is funding available to cover the remaining expenses that are not covered by this scholarship award
The submission period for 2022 scholarships is now closed.
All questions should be directed to ColumbiaSHARP.Scholarships@gmail.com.
Sign up here to hear about scholarship opportunities and deadlines.