Doctoral program graduates find faculty positions in leading research and teaching institutions, both in the United States and around the globe. Graduates assume senior positions in research, policy, and program development at public health agencies, and apply their research and critical thinking skills working with community-based organizations or in the private sector.
Our PhD graduates leave Columbia to hold research positions and academic posts as associate and assistant professors at various institutions of higher education. Stationed across the U.S. and abroad, you can find SMS PhD alumni from California to Massachusetts. Read profiles of select PhD graduates.
Job Titles of Selected PhD Program Graduates
- Associate Professor, Department of Anthropology, Pomona College, California
- Associate Professor, Department of Sociology and Department of Anthropology, Purdue University
- Associate Professor of Anthropology, University of New England
- Assistant Professor of Gender, Women and Sexuality Studies and Global Studies, University of Minnesota
- Assistant Professor of Women, Gender, and Sexuality Studies, UMASS Amherst
- Associate Professor of Women’s, Gender, and Sexuality Studies, Barnard College, Columbia University
- Assistant Professor, Department of Global Health, George Washington School of Public Health and Health Services
- Visiting Assistant Professor of Anthropology, University of Oregon
- Luce Moore Postdoctoral Fellow in Religion, Medicine, and Healing, Wellesley College
- Associate Research Fellow, Institute of Ethnology, Academia Sinica, Taiwan
- Assistant Professor of Sociology, Winston-Salem State University
- Professor of Sociology, University of British Columbia
- Deputy Director of Research, Brookdale Center for Healthy Aging and Longevity, Hunter College, City University of New York
- Research Scientist, The Fenway Institute
- Assistant Professor, Family Science Department, School of Public Health, University of Maryland
- Associate Professor, Center for Health Promotion and Prevention Research, University of Texas School of Public Health
- Associate Professor, Drexel University, School of Public Health
- Senior Director, Health Equity Research and Policy, American Association of Medical Colleges
Where can I go if I want to learn more about the doctoral programs?