By including the Mailman School in your financial and estate plans, you may create a steady income and provide future support for the School. A variety of planned giving vehicles allow you to make a substantial gift while still providing for your personal financial needs.
Charitable Remainder Trusts
A Charitable Remainder Trust (CRT) is a life income gift that you tailor to maximize your personal tax and income benefits. You transfer cash or other property to one of two types of trusts:
A Unitrust pays you a percentage of the trust’s assets, valued annually, with the potential for your income to grow as the principal grows.
An Annuity Trust pays you a fixed amount that never varies, even if the value of the trust principal decreases. You also choose how long the trust lasts. Principal remaining when the trust ends funds the purpose that you have chosen.
The flexibility and advantages of a Charitable Remainder Trust may include:
- guaranteed income for your life, or a term of your choice;
- an income tax charitable deduction in the trust’s first year;
- a reduction in capital gains, gift and estate taxes;
- Columbia serving as trustee and managing your CRT investments for no fee; or,
- maximizing your support of education and research.
View an illustration of the tax advantages of a Charitable Remainder Trust.
Charitable Gift Annuities
A Charitable Gift Annuity is a simple form of gift that will pay you and/or someone you choose a fixed annual income. In addition, you will receive a generous charitable tax deduction and a reduction in gift and estate taxes. Best of all, your gift will support the Mailman School.
The advantages of a Charitable Gift Annuity may include:
- guaranteed lifetime annuity income;
- an income tax deduction;
- a reduction in capital gains tax if appreciated securities are used to fund the gift;
- a reduction in gift and estate taxes; or,
- enabling a more generous contribution than you had thought possible.
View an illustration of the tax advantages of a Charitable Gift Annuity.
For additional information about making a planned gift, please contact:
Office of Development and Alumni Relations
msphgive [at] cumc.columbia.edu